Visiting Hours, Guidelines, Accommodations
Below is information that will help you when visiting a patient at Northwest Texas Healthcare System. Please be aware that we are a tobacco-free campus, and there is no smoking on hospital grounds.
The following is in effect until further notice:
- The hospital's main entrance is open from 5:30 am to 8 pm.
- Patients and visitors are required to wear a mask while in the facility. No children under the age of 14 will be allowed to visit.
- The visitor entrance is through the main entrance marked Entrance 1. Visiting hours are 8 am to 8 pm daily. Patients may have one visitor at a time, but no children under the age of 14.
- Inpatient – Inpatients may have ONE screened visitor, the visitor must wear a mask at all times while in the hospital and remain in the patient's room only.
- ER – ONE visitor may accompany a patient in the ER. The visitor must enter with the patient at the time of arrival and must wear a mask at all times while in the hospital. The visitor must stay in the assigned room/bay of the patient until discharge.
- Outpatient Surgery – ONE visitor may accompany the patient. The patient and the visitor are required to wear a mask at all times while in the hospital.
- Labor and Delivery – Two screened support people may accompany the patient and must wear a mask at all times while in the hospital and remain the patient's room only. One person may stay overnight.
- Postpartum – One screened support person may stay overnight and must wear a mask at all times while in the hospital and remain in the patient's room only.
- NICU – Two screened support people may visit at a time and must wear a mask at all times while in the hospital and remain in the unit only.
- Pediatrics – Two screened support people may accompany the patient and must wear a mask at all times while in the hospital and remain the patient's room only. One person may stay overnight.
- Outpatient Visits – The screened patient may be accompanied by ONE screened visitor. The patient and visitor must wear a mask at all times while in the hospital.
- Patients with physical, intellectual and/or developmental disabilities and patients with cognitive impairments may have two screened support people.
Visitors are subject to temperature check and screening upon arrival at the hospital. Individuals will be prohibited from entering the hospital if they:
- Have been in contact within the last 14 days with a person suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19
- Have had a cough or flu-like symptoms, including sore throat, headache, muscle aches, nausea, diarrhea, or abdominal pain, or loss of taste or smell in the last 24 hours
- Felt feverish or experienced chills in the last 48 hours
- Had a fever of 100°F or greater in the last 48 hours
- It is recommended that all patients and visitors use hand sanitizer upon entering the facility, as well as when entering and exiting a patient room.
Thank you for your cooperation and for being an advocate for the health and care of your loved ones and all hospitalized patients.
Any personal information about a patient's diagnosis and treatment must come from the patient's physician, and this information is only available to members of the immediate family who the patient has designated to receive it. Patients may also choose not to have any information released.
Gifts for Patients
Visitors should check with the nurse before bringing gifts of food or drink to patients, as some patients are on restricted diets. On the Intensive Care Unit, please check with a nurse in the unit before taking any gift to a patient room.
Parking and RV Parking
Parking for patients and visitors is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week near the hospital entrance. Golf cart transportation from the parking area to the main entrance is available Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. There are RV parks near the hospital. Please call the Security office for locations or other questions about parking at 806-354-1176.
There are specially designated lounge areas for visitors on each patient floor and on the main floor in the lobby. Specific waiting areas have been designated for families of patients in the critical care units, the emergency department and surgery. A volunteer is on duty in the surgery waiting room during certain hours to keep family members informed about the progress of surgery.
The Gift Shop is open the following hours:
- Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Sunday, 1 – 5 p.m.
The shop has gift items, jewelry, magazines, greeting cards, snacks, balloons, toiletries, flowers, novelties and clothing. The Gift Shop phone number is 806-354-1723.
Area Accommodations and Discounts
Many nearby hotels offer discounts for families of patients at Northwest Texas Healthcare System. Be sure to ask if they offer special rates when you call to make a reservation.
Ronald McDonald House
Ronald McDonald House is located at 1501 Streit Street and is available to families of patients under age 18 who live 50 miles or more outside of Amarillo. Please call 806-358-8177 for more information.