Family-Centered Maternity Care for the Northwest Texas Region
Northwest Texas Healthcare System has a staff of highly trained obstetricians/gynecologists, maternal fetal medicine specialists, neonatologists, anesthesiologists and neonatal nurses who are well prepared for both normal and high-risk births. In addition to offering the latest technological advancements in maternity care, we also work to create a birth environment of warmth and comfort. The birth setting may be intimate and private, or openly shared with your family, significant partner or other support people.
'Northwest is My Hospital'
Lindsey Clayton had a very specific birth plan for her daughter. Hear why she chose to deliver at Northwest.
Designated a Blue Distinction® Center for Maternity Care
Blue Distinction Centers are nationally designated hospitals that demonstrate expertise in delivering improved patient safety and better health outcomes.
What We Offer
Below are some of our specialties, services and offerings:
- Specialization in high-risk deliveries and neonatal care
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- A newborn nursery
- Obstetrician/Gynecologists, maternal-fetal medicine specialists, neonatologists, nurse anesthetists and neonatal nurses available 24 hours a day
- Board-certified lactation consultants
- Breastfeeding help hotline available 24 hours a day (call 888-691-6667)
- Tours of our maternity facilities (call 806-351-7610 to arrange for a tour)
- Help with buying or installing a child car seat (call 806-354-1444)
Childbirth and Parenting Classes
We offer a variety of childbirth and parenting classes, including:
- Childbirth education classes — Learn more and sign up for a class >
- Prenatal breastfeeding classes — Learn more and sign up for a class >
- Baby You, Baby Me classes for mothers — Learn more and sign up for a class >
- Daddy Survival Camp classes for fathers — Learn more and sign up for a class >
Texas Ten Step Program Facility
Northwest Texas Healthcare System continues its emphasis on improving the health of newborns and infants by renewing our designation as a Texas Ten Step Program facility from the Texas Department of State Health Services.
Watch this video to learn more about our Childbirth Center.
We believe that a family-centered approach to childbirth can help promote the healthy growth and development of the entire family.
We support your family-centered birth experience with comprehensive childbirth and sibling classes.
Specialized Couplet Care
As part of family-centered care, we support couplet care, in which mother and baby stay together from birth to hospital discharge. Couplet care helps promote family bonding and supports successful breastfeeding. In couplet care, mother and the newborn baby stay in the same room, which creates an environment that includes:
- Communication and collaboration among members of the healthcare team
- A staff that is better positioned to teach mother and family how to care for their newborn
- Improved breastfeeding success and bonding due to infant rooming-in with mother and family
After the baby's birth, his or her admission exam is conducted at the mother’s bedside, and the same nurse cares for mother and baby in the same room. Other benefits of couplet care:
- The baby isn’t moved between mother’s room and nursery
- Each morning until discharge, a nurse and mother plan an individual daily schedule
- Nurses help educate the mother while the baby is in the room
- Routine care for the baby, such as weighing, physical exams and temperature taking, take place in the mother's room
- Mothers who breastfeed receive additional benefits in couplet care, as uninterrupted feeding schedules are important in establishing milk supply