Northwest Children's is Texas Panhandle's Primary Pediatric Provider
Northwest Children's Hospital of Northwest Texas Healthcare System offers more than 40 pediatric subspecialties and serves as the Texas Panhandle's primary healthcare provider for children. Every member of our staff works to help children and their families feel as close to home as possible in any of our 29 spacious, private inpatient rooms.
Alliance Regional Health Network Member
Our general pediatrics unit is widely respected for its progressive medical services and advanced technology used to treat children of all ages who have various types of medical problems. The hospital is part of the Alliance Regional Health Network, so you and your child can take advantage of the expertise of nearly 50 pediatricians and specialists throughout the network. Some of their specialties include:
- Hematology and Oncology
- Infectious Disease
Marla Flores and her family moved to Amarillo to be close to the team at Northwest Children's Hospital.
A pediatric hospitalist is a hospital-based physician who may provide medical care if your child has an illness or injury that requires inpatient care. Pediatric hospitalists at Northwest Children's Hospital care for children who have a wide range of illnesses and medical needs including:
- Acute infectious illnesses of the blood, skin, lungs and kidneys
- Respiratory illnesses such as pneumonia and croup
- Problems with chronic illnesses such as diabetes and asthma
- Common pediatric illnesses such as influenza and dehydration
- Recovery from injuries or surgeries
When your child leaves the hospital, a pediatric hospitalist will provide your pediatrician with an overview of your child’s hospital stay and detailed instructions for any necessary further care.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Our Level III NICU treats babies who are as young as 23 weeks gestational age, and is designed to provide care for babies with a variety of respiratory and infectious conditions. Our staff includes neonatologists, registered nurses, respiratory therapists, occupational and physical therapists, social workers and breastfeeding specialists, all specially trained to work with infants in the NICU. Your baby's care team will coordinate any necessary consultations with other specialists, including ophthalmologists, surgeons and pulmonologists.
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at Northwest Children's Hospital offers care for children at the most critical point in their lives. Our 12-bed unit has:
- Highly-skilled staff that are certified in pediatric advanced life support
- Three pediatric intensivists
- Physical, occupational and speech therapists
- Pediatric dietary consultants
Ronald McDonald Family Room
The Ronald McDonald Family Room includes laundry and shower facilities, a library and a kitchen area for families of children who are patients in the Pediatrics Unit or Intensive Care Units (ICU). This is a special feature for those who need a taste of home but don't want to leave their child.
Services and Programs for Parents and Children
Other services and programs for parents and children are:
- H.O.P.E. (Healing Our Parental Emptiness Support Group) — meets the first Thursday of every month at 7:00 p.m. at Crown of Texas Hospice, 1000 South Jefferson. Call 806-372-7696 for more information.
- Car Seat Safety Checks. Call 806-354-1444 to schedule a seat safety check.
- The Child Life Program. This program includes structured activities, one-on-one interactions with children and staff and lots of arts and crafts. A child may get to be a princess for a day or have a great camp-out!
- Pediatric Dietary Counseling. Learn what you can do to encourage your child to eat healthy meals.
Find a Doctor
If you need a referral to a pediatrician affiliated with Northwest Texas Healthcare System, contact our free physician referral service at 800-887-1114.