Mammography, Bone Density Scans
The Women’s Imaging Center at Northwest Texas Healthcare System is a comprehensive and integrative breast center dedicated to the prevention, screening, diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer. The Women’s Imaging Center is staffed with qualified, compassionate registered technologists who perform medically responsible imaging exams.
The Women’s Imaging Center is designated as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR). The ACR designation recognizes the Center’s earned accreditation in mammography, stereotactic breast biopsy and breast ultrasound.
Northwest offers a softer digital mammogram and 3D mammograms. We use a soft, warm cushion during the mammogram, making the exam more comfortable.
Mammography screening is the best method for finding breast cancer in its earliest stages, when cure rates are the highest. It can reveal small tumors up to two years before you or your doctor can feel them during a breast exam. If a tumor or other issue is detected, you may also need a diagnostic mammogram or other breast imaging to pinpoint the cause.
At Women’s Imaging Center at Northwest Texas Healthcare System, our compassionate technologists have advanced training in breast imaging and are certified in mammography.
The ACR recommends that women age 40 and older have annual screening mammograms in order to detect breast cancer even when no symptoms are present.
Screening mammography looks for unsuspected changes in the breast tissue. Diagnostic mammography is utilized when a patient has consulted with her doctor or healthcare provider and there is a known change that needs to be investigated.
We offer both screening and diagnostic mammograms:
- Screening mammograms help us find unsuspected changes in your breast tissue
- Diagnostic mammograms are performed if we find a change in your breast tissue with a screening mammogram, if you are experiencing a breast problem or if you have had a previous breast cancer diagnosis
- 3D mammography (breast tomosynthesis) produces three-dimensional images of the breast, leading to better cancer screening and detection.
These tests use low-level X-rays, which are the best screening methods for the detection of abnormalities in your breasts.
Digital Breast Tomosynthesis/3D Mammogram is a revolutionary new tool that help doctors detect breast cancer earlier than previously possible. This technology allows the physician to see thin mammography sections of the entire breast. This results in better detail without the superimposed tissue above and below each section that can hide abnormalities on the traditional two-dimensional image provided by mammography.
- 2D/3D Digital Screening Mammography
- 2D/3D Digital Diagnostic Mammography
- Diagnostic Breast Ultrasound performed by certified/registered/licensed staff
- Non-Surgical, Image-Guided Breast Biopsies
- Stereotactic and Ultrasound-Guided Needle and Vacuum Probe Breast Biopsies
- Cyst Aspiration
- Second Opinion Consultations
- MRI imaging and biopsy
- Bone Density screening
- Educational tools, including breast self-exam instruction
- On-site nurse navigator who is an educator and advocate for our patients and their caregivers throughout their cancer care experience
Preparing For a Mammogram
- Come 10 minutes prior to your appointment time for registration
- Bring your photo ID and insurance cards
- Bring images and reports of prior mammograms if at another facility if you have them
- Do not use deodorant, powder or lotion under your arms or on your breasts before having a mammogram
- Wear a blouse or top that is easy to remove
- You will be asked a series of questions about your medical history
- Tell your technologist if you have breast implants
Preparing for a Bone Density Scan
- Do not wear clothing with metal zippers
- Do not take oral calcium supplements for 48 hours prior to your exam
- A radiologist will review your exam images and report the findings to your doctor. Your doctor will then discuss the findings and next steps with you.
To find a doctor affiliated with our Women's Imaging Center, contact our free Direct Doctors Plus referral service at 800-887-1114.