Visitor Hours, Guidelines, Accommodations
Below is information that will help you when visiting a patient at Northwest Texas Healthcare System. Please be aware that we are a tobacco-free campus, and there is no smoking on hospital grounds.
Generally, hospital visiting hours are open. Visiting regulations are available at each nursing station.
The following are general guidelines for visitors:
- All visitors must be at least 12 years of age. In certain situations, a patient may leave the floor to visit children in the hospital's lobby, or children may have a limited visit in the patient's room. If you wish to make such arrangements, please talk with the patient's nurse.
- All visitors must wear shirts and shoes.
- No more than two visitors are allowed in a patient room at one time. Visitors in semi-private rooms should be considerate of both patients.
- People with colds, sore throats or any contagious diseases should not visit patients.
- Visits should be kept short, and to maintain a quiet environment, visitors should avoid unnecessary noise.
- Visitors may be asked to leave the room during tests or treatments or when the doctor or nurse needs to see the patient.
- Liberal visiting arrangements may be made for families of surgical patients on the day of surgery.
Any personal information about a patient's diagnosis and treatment must come from the patient's physician, and this information is only available to members of the immediate family who the patient has designated to receive it. Patients may also choose not to have any information released.
Gifts for Patients
Visitors should check with the nurse before bringing gifts of food or drink to patients, as some patients are on restricted diets. On the Intensive Care Unit, please check with a nurse in the unit before taking any gift to a patient room.
Parking and RV Parking
Parking for patients and visitors is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week near the hospital entrance. Golf cart transportation from the parking area to the main entrance is available Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. There are RV parks near the hospital. Please call the Security office for locations or other questions about parking at 806-354-1176.
There are specially designated lounge areas for visitors on each patient floor and on the main floor in the lobby. Specific waiting areas have been designated for families of patients in the critical care units, the emergency department and surgery. A volunteer is on duty in the surgery waiting room during certain hours to keep family members informed about the progress of surgery.
The Gift Shop is open the following hours:
- Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Sunday, 1 – 5 p.m.
The shop has gift items, jewelry, magazines, greeting cards, snacks, balloons, toiletries, flowers, novelties and clothing. The Gift Shop phone number is 806-354-1723.
Area Accommodations and Discounts
Many nearby hotels offer discounts for families of patients at Northwest Texas Healthcare System. Be sure to ask if they offer special rates when you call to make a reservation.
Ronald McDonald House
Ronald McDonald House is located at 1501 Streit Street and is available to families of patients under age 18 who live 50 miles or more outside of Amarillo. Please call 806-358-8177 for more information.